Friday, November 18, 2011

Still Strong.

I really haven't been the greatest blogger on this the last few years. I think as a result a lot of things going on in the real world and in my own world. But I wanted to bring you up to date on what's going on the old BMW. She still running strong and riding great.Despite having over 98,000 miles on her she still turns heads and gets people waving and I hope a few people envious. Considering how little I spent  I have had such joy writing that motorcycle is I cannot express.

Going to begin to summarize in a few blogs saw the work of those happen to the bike last few years and I'll do my best to get some pictures up on the web also.

Removing the Luggage Racks

In an effort to clean up the bikes lines, I removed the luggage racks. I really have not been using them and they just  continued kind of mess up the lines of motorcycle.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Repairing the Kill Switch Lever

When I bought the bike the kill switch was functioning but very...very sensitive. As well the end of the plastic thumb lever was broken off. Initially I rebuilt the broken piece using a plastic epoxy putty. The switch had become finicky and rather than experience one of those embarrassing and dangerous "surprise engine kills" while going down the road and inadvertently touching the kill switch with a winter glove while adjusting the mirror stalk -does it sound like this may have happened to me? - I took the switch apart and did some maintenance to it. I'll blog that separately. So, the plastic thumb part was weakened as I attempted to trouble shoot the switch. I cut a trough into the back side of the switch and fitted in a piece of 6d finishing nail.


Covered it up with epoxy and Viola...good for another 30 years.

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Installing the Thunderchild Voltage Regulator and Diode Board



My voltage regulator and diode board arrived. Also included were the little studs to mount the board to the engine case. Big improvement over the 30year old rubber ones. One was all but gone, another cracked through and the diode board was holding on for dear life by two rubber mounts and one of the grounding wires was about cut through from apparently being pinched by the case during a reassembly some time ago. See pic













Note that the old board was in 'pretty good' shape considering this is the original board, not the upgraded one done a couple of years later. Those are identified by a gray stripe across them.










It is VERY tight in the back of the case to get these studs in place. But Thunderchild has made a great work around. The bold shaft is cut for a metric Allen key..about a 4 mm. Bend one of your old keys at a 45 degree angle to be able to place it under the starter on the lower right stud.

Thread your washer and nut OVER the Allen key.

Place the stud through the case and then place the allen key in the stud allen key hole. Picture shows how the key with the nut and washer is placed in the allen key hole.

This allows you to BEGIN threading the washer and nut. DO NOT thread completely. Just get it started and pull out the Allen key. If you don't you end up with the allen key jammed against the starter. Just use is as a temproary holder so you don't drop the washer or nut.


Here is the allen key on the right Upper nut. The Right Lower is the hard to reach one.













Finally, placed a little hose material behind the voltage regulator as padding. What the heck.

Installing the Front Tire - Brake Checks


Installed the front tire and did brake adjustments. While the tire and wheel were off at ADVENTURE BMW in Chesapeake Virginia, I took the time to do some preservation work on the forks and brake calipers.

2008 January Maintenance Log

Last Log Mileage: 95500(est)

Current Mileage: 94707

Monthly Total: 207

Total Miles Owned (since 94272) 1435

01 JAN 08 - Happy New Year! Lots planned this month to get the bike ready for Spring

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Haste Makes Waste


I finally got things back together and have the headlight in the shell using my own approach. The headlight is a standard Halogen Sylvannia light for a car. It still has the ring from the fairing attached to it, but this is not going to work with the standard shell....what to do?

The ring fits inside the shell, but there is some space around it. Here's my idea. I bought some felt weatherstripping and placed a length of it around the outside of the headlight shell and secured it with electrical tape. that extended the edge of the shell with a flexible, soft felt ring. I did the same for the headlight and magically the two rings of felt nest inside each other "pretty good". I then wrapped the joint in more tape. Looks great, works fine.

Only problem was that when I was doing all this, I did not disconnect the headlight from its connector. I did not know it but one of the connections was pulled out and I did not know I did not have a headlight until I was all suited up and ready to ride this morning (30 F).

Well, I fixed it enough for the ride and bought a new $2.50 connector at PEP Boys. Another little project for another time.