Wednesday, April 25, 2007

30 Years Is Not Too Long To Wait for a BMW


Yes, you can get a BMW. Maybe not today, maybe not a new one, but if you're determined, you can likely get an old one in the distant future. It is worth the wait.
My time came April 21, 2007 when as a 49 year old grandfather and the concurrace of my wife of 26 years...who is loving, caring and supportive...I laid down cash and closed a little chapter in my life..the 'Waiting Period'.
I don't think that BMWs age. They mature. And if its a 1977 BMW R100/7 then it is like getting a case of wine that's 30 years old. You hold your breath, turn the key for the first time and listen to a very deep thump...thump...thump. Wow..this is no cruiser - this is a German locamotive that wants to pull out of the station with conviction. 1000cc's looking for a rider - a new owner - dare I say it - a new relationship.
My first impression was not fear, it was respect. I clumsily swung my leg over the saddlebags, but once in the seat, it was 'all right there'. A natural riding position. A big air-cooled twin with cylinder heads the size of trashcans chugging away. Pistons the size of 3lb coffee cans flying toward each other and back away. Not like a carnival ride, but smoothly, gracefully, like a dance. I was quickly realizing the sensations I had only thought about over the years.
BMW's are not motorcycles...they are machines. Any country in the world can build a motorcycle...the Germans build machines. This one was originally laid out on paper with a slide rule and logarithmic tables. Wiry German engineers in white shirts, thin black ties and micrometers in their pockets staring through half frame hornrim glasses over sets of drawings. These men build machines. They build a motorcycle the way that they would build a lathe, or drill press, or any other machine designed to give service for generations.

No comments: